More frequent releases?

So I have a crazy idea I either need to be talked out of or convinced it’s not crazy… After alpha 3 on Wednesday I want move to monthly releases on the last Thursday of the month.

There’s a number of reasons for this…

  1. I’ve noticed with the 3 month cycle that there’s a lot of hype right after and right before releases. Which means there’s a solid 2 months in there of bleh when it comes to development and everything else.
  2. The release process isn’t super tedious, but doing it infrequently makes it harder to get it right. A good example of this is me taking 10 times to remember the password to my signing key.
  3. It’s now been 9 months since we declared the application stable enough for third party protocol developers and making them wait 3 months for updates to bugs and issues they’ve found is too long.
  4. Attempting to “plan” 3 months out is hard. It’d be much easier to say “I’m focusing on these few things for the next month”. This is basically the agile argument.
  5. We absolutely have to get the momentum rolling here. Debian drops GTK 2 in Debian 14 (Forky) next summer but will freeze much sooner. Homebrew is dropping GTK2 on 2027-08-28 (something like that I didn’t verify). Others have already dropped it. If we don’t have Pidgin 3 usable enough for users at that point we’re going to be in a support nightmare of people trying to compile pidgin 2 or 3 and I personally don’t want to deal with that.

Unless convinced otherwise, I’m going to announce the move to monthly releases in the Alpha 3 release announcement.

2 Likes

That’d be the next releases at

2026-10-29
2026-11-26
2026-12-31
2027-01-29
2027-02-25
2027-03-25