Message Drafting

I’ve been triaging issues and I ran across an interesting one about being able to “stash” a message. Basically you’re drafting a longer reply or whatever, but the person sends another message which you can quickly respond to. So you have to select all, cut, type quick response, paste.

This is something I’ve done many times myself and I’m thinking it might make sense to add a collection of draft messages to a conversation so you could “save to draft” send quick response, then reload draft from a menu or command and then continue where you left off.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

1 Like

I have this use case too but the cut-type-paste workaround isn’t too complicated to do. So having a “stash message” would be a nice to have but not something that should get any priority in my eyes.

1 Like

The cut-type-paste can get real tedious if there’s formatting and it’s not restored correctly. ie, it requires an encode/decode to/from the clipboard so that’s a whole lot more room for errors than saving the message state directly with a stash

1 Like

Having the ability to save a draft would be very useful for me.

Maybe as a MVP just supporting a single draft per conversation would be useful and less complex to implement? Then the draft could just be placed in the message compose text box when the conversation is reopened and there wouldn’t be a need to add UI for navigating between multiple drafts and for deleting multiple drafts.

IME when I make a draft it is because I am switching over to a different conversation, not because I want to start a different message in the same conversation, so having one draft per conversation is enough. But maybe it is not much harder to implement multiple drafts per conversation.

1 Like

It should be remembering the text right now while the application is running, but we don’t current save this to disk although we should which would the survive restarts and crashes

Adium has (had?) that feature. I don’t recall the exact way it works (worked?) but it’s pretty nifty.

1 Like

Hmm I never noticed that, I might need to try it out.